Monday 14 February 2011


The beer truck

 Water sprayer
 The moving stage

Dancers

Another beach day, went around noon and was able to have a swim since the waves weren’t as rough as yesterday. Beautiful sun and a breeze all the time, the temp around 32 and still no rain since I’ve arrived.  Sun was nice, now I’m slightly tosted.
Since this is an oil town there are a lot of expats but the only ones I see are the people who live in the same building and wait for their ride to work at the same time as me. They are all young and most likely engineers and the like, working in the oil industry.  So far I haven’t met another Canadian who lives here, at school the staff is ALL Brazilian, wonderful people to work with.
Another gigantic street party tonight, there is a huge bandstand built on a flat bed of some type, (in fact it reminds me of an Acadian Lines bus with a flat top) for a stage.  The flat top bus/stage on wheels moves slowly down my street all day till it gets here at almost dark.  There are thousands of people who follow it dancing and drinking.  A big water tank truck drives in front of the dancers spraying them with water. A beer truck is also as part of the entourage where there are giving out free beer. There is a big band on the stage and with dancers too. It is loud, I went down to the street wen it came close and watched, when it passed I could feel my whole chest vibrate.  It is the prelude to carnival. Can’t wait too see what the real Carnival is like if this is just the beginning.