Saturday 5 February 2011


The large red building to the right is the grocery store I go to.
Was picked up by a driver up as usual, the driving here is quite civilized, my taxi driver coming from Rio gave me a bad impression on Brazilian drivers. The drivers are courteous, let other drivers go first, don’t almost run down pedestrians and do stop for signs and traffic lights, a direct contrast to Egypt. There is a very friendly security man at the school door, he reminds me of a butler. When people come he offers to take their briefcase/bag and carries it to the car and opens the car door and directs traffics as cars back out. I leave for school at 10 to 8 and get home between 6 and 6:30. It is work all day steady. Some teachers work half days, some work all day. They all feel lucky to work at this school because they are treated with respect and the pay is better. The school cafeteria is reason enough to work there. The cooks are amazing and the smell through out the school all morning leaves us eagerly anticipating what they have prepared. Servings are very generous and I have to tell them to give me a smaller portion. I eat my main meal at lunch.
Took a long walk this evening on the way to the fruit market. Bought a pineapple. It sure didn’t taste like a Sobey’s pineapple. So very good. Also bought cashew juice, no it doesn’t taste like the nut but is very good. It was quite breezy this evening and there was a parasailer out in the bay. Looked like a lot of fun. …and no I’m not trying it.
There is only one mall in Macae and some shops downtown. I hope to get to the mall tomorrow. Need to get some summer tops. The ladies here wear such interesting clothes. A lot of summer tops and beautiful summer dresses, very different styles.