Monday 21 February 2011

 One of the beer trucks
 Water truck
Another beer truck and water truck
 Just a small part of the party


 The stage
 
Another beach day, still no rain, there has been all sunshine since I arrived here.  Sat on the beach watching the breakers coming in and trying to get the courage to swim. Swimming is fine, it’s just to get past the breakers on the way in and the way out. On the way in the water I made my entry on some smaller waves so I wasn’t tossed. On the way back to the beach I wasn’t so lucky, bad timing and two or three big breakers one after the other broke over me on the way in.  So its bam, tossed on the beach, try to get up, bam ,sucked back  in a giant washing machine of  sand and water , try get up, another wave, sucked back, more sand and water, then make 3 or 4 ungraceful attempts to crawl up the beach before the next huge breaker rolls in. Result is sand everywhere possible, think it’s in my sinuses too.
Went for a long walk to the lagoon, as I walked back a fellow in a blue and white sweater was approaching me from the opposite direction… a blue and white Toronto Maple Leafs jersey!  Met my first Canadian, a Cape Bretoner on the beach in Macae. He is Daniel MacAuley from Donkin/Morion, in the Sydney area . He is in his late 20s and he and his wife and children just moved here a few months  ago, works for an oil company.  
Bigger parties at various intervals on my street  all day long and again tonight the biggest party of all. These Brazilians sure can dance and party! Tonight the biggest street party which started down the road about 4 hours ago just passed my house at 8:00. There were 3 beer trucks, 2 water trucks (to spray dancers), a truck with the stage which is as high as the 3rd floor on our building, four police cars and a few other trucks and thousands of drunk dancers. It is a miracle no one is run over.