Tuesday 8 February 2011


Feb 7, 2011
First day of school, with students ages 2-10. It was crying and sobbing time, haven’t experienced it since 1999 when I taught primary. There were more tears today since these children are younger. Some of them were just heart broken, and mom and dad were hanging around, in the lobby trying to get a peek, just as sad. They are beautiful children, shiny dark hair and big brown eyes, with a few blondes, just a few. The teachers are so kind to them and very loving.
I went to visit a few classrooms but not the best time, especially in the morning. In the afternoon, I went in to visit a few more and read a story and played blocks and puzzles, (I’m getting paid to do this?).  One of duties is to spread around my English (with a Cape Breton accent).  I’m still reading manuals and gathering together ideas for the teachers to use in class. My hours at school: Leave 7:40 AM, arrive back at Apartment 7:00 PM. I am working!
The cafeteria ladies outdid themselves again. It was a chicken stew, but the vegetables were the most interesting part. White yams, potatoes, carrots and something green that may be similar to zucchini, served with the staple they have every day, rice and beans.  Rice and beans are eaten every day and the beans are not canned, they are cooked from dry beans. At the grocery store (size of Sobeys) there is one long aisle with rice on one side and dried beans on the other side and the olive oil fills one more aisle. I didn’t see any canned beans or peanut butter….. not one jar.
What a pleasure to be on duty out side, no huddling close to the building trying to preserve warmth from the North wind blowing past Port Hood Island. The sun is shining and no cold wind, although it has been windy every day since I arrived and still no rain.
A bit tender in a lot of places,  from my roll on the side walk, so went to the sauna again to let the heat try to help the sore spots. Lovely dry sauna, with a window to look outside, there is another sauna as well, done all in tile, maybe it is the steam sauna