Sunday 6 February 2011

This is the `band`.
No school today, time to find and figure out the washer. No matter how had I tugged the door wouldn’t open, asked at the desk if there was a key, she laughed and said Yes and reached under the counter and brought out a big screwdriver. Some one must have snapped off the opening mechanism and now we need to poke at the latch till it opens. Then how to operate the washer all in Portuguese….had to make use of the French I can read and some symbols, but got it going and did 2 washes. 
Today was time to explore and find the mall. It’s a bit of a walk and I’m still not perfect on the directions so I had the girl at the desk call me a cab,( 15 Reails  $8.84 dollars Canadian), so the exchange is about half and a bit more. I spent the whole afternoon at the mall just looking and increasing my summer wardrobe. Bought some regular size cups, Brazilians drink coffee from small cups,( Expresso) had to hunt through Walmart to find a regular size one.  At breakfast I had to fill two cups of coffee to have one regular cup ,I’d have at home. Now I’m set.
There was a marching band marching round and round the mall  hallway, 4-6 fellows.  Oh yes, Walmart is in Macae, but it is about 60% grocery. Boy can you smell the fish, they have it on ice but the smell of fish and meat is quite strong.  The mall is probably the size of the Antigonish mall and I think the only one in town, there is a downtown and that will be my next excursion. Not sure if it’s open tomorrow.
I think I will eat out on the weekends, ate at a Japanese restaurant tonight. Quite good but I think I will explore different ones.  There are many, many restaurants on the beach strip. Quite windy today the surf is quite wild, there must be some reefs out in the bay for the ways are breaking out there a lot. I could see a lot of birds out on the water, and a lot of people fishing off the beach.  Must be fish out there.