Sunday 13 February 2011


 A mean looking 'Brinks' truck, heavy duty!
 Shrimp boat

This morning was clean up, swept up all the dust that blew in all week and got the washer before all the late risers. The washer is an Elextrolux front loader and it is quite a machine (despite the fact the latch is broken and I need a knife to open it). It washes well and spins so good the clothes don’t take much time to dry.  Much better than my Sears front loader which died after 3 ½ years and I think was on the way out for a long time.  Don’t buy one, they wouldn’t do a thing for me, after admitting they were defective…..and don’t even ask about my Rav4!!
Decided today was the day to scout out the ‘Downtown’ area.  I caught a taxi out front of my building and luckily the driver understood when I said, “Downtown”, and I did know the direction we should be going. This is the main shopping area and is up the coast in a northerly direction.  It is probably a 10 by 5 block shopping area, I am guessing from what I saw. Lots of little shops, I just walked the main drag but there are a lot of other shops on other streets. The whole area closed down at 2:00, glad I went in in early enough.  On the way out I stopped in at Horti Fruti, the biggest fruit store here, but still a far cry from Pete’s Fruitique.  I got a picture of my mystery fruit and the Portuguese name.  Selected a bunch of fruit, some known, some a mystery and was lucky again to catch a taxi with a driver who knew enough English for a bit of conversation, makes it easy to say where I want to go. He told me the big boats which are always in the harbour are shrimp boats, who buy shrimp from local fishermen.  Maybe that is right or maybe they are fishing shrimp themselves, got the story partly correct anyway. Oh yes, no Sunday shopping here, the place closes down on Sunday.
Went to the beach for sun and swim but wind came up and the surf was rolling in like a big storm in Judique so no swim today. The parasailers really love the wind, there were about 4 or 5 out today. Never see any seadoos or motorboats. Strange, there are a lot of rich oil people here who could afford them.
Despite the fact the buildings are made mostly of cement and marble it seems they are very big on fire prevention. Every establishment has 2 types of fire extinguisher, water and CO2.  The teachers had to take an extensive fire course, crawling between two barrels which had some burning oil in them, so hot they couldn’t stand up and they were soaked with fire extinguishers.  They finished the course, dirty, scratched, wet and annoyed.