Thursday 19 April 2012

April 19, 2012


Last night was a wild night, high winds which pushed sand in through every little opening in my apartment (and there are many). I think I swept up a cup and a half of sand this morning.  Then there was rain, which made the puddles on the floor in three places.  The thunder and lightning, woke me several times and one of my windows with a broken clasp was trying to swing open.  The wadi’s have streams of water in them but no widespread flooding.  Had lunch at my Indian friend’s place and we went to Mutrah to the big department store called LuLu’s. It has a lot of Indian products and she was a great guide to tell me all about the vegetables,  fruits and  products, a very informative afternoon. Many of the laborers here are from India and when I see them waiting for a ride to or from work they all have their very distinctive lunch cans. LuLu’s sells them so I bought one. It is stainless steel and has a handle that wraps around 4 separate sections for food. They are single walled and not insulated.

Lemons or limes in school yard

Unidentified, thorny fruit at school
Beginning of a sand dune by my window.
Indian worker's lunch can  taken apart

Indian worker's lunch can all together
Wadi with water in it.