Monday 16 April 2012

April 16, 2012


Very humid the last few days with many attempts at rain. I think it just burns up before it hits the ground. A few splatters, just enough to make our cars dirty. It is an offense to have a dirty car in Oman and you can be fined. A fellow cleans our cars in the early morning,  every 2 or 3 mornings. Today it rained a few sprinkles and the kids were so excited, it’s a big event when it rains here.  The teachers also get excited when rain is predicted for that often means school closures. The ground is so dry it can’t absorb the water fast enough so it creates floods and the wadis (dry river beds) become torrents.  It was very windy that last few nights, which means more desert sand in our houses. If I forget the window open again in my spare bathroom, I’m going to be able to plant flowers in the tub soon.
I checked with my car rental and I get to keep my new car with just a five Rial hike in price per month instead of 15 Rial. Glad I can keep this car, much more power and it is needed to get inside of the traffic circles quickly.
School is busy, we have an inspector visit in 2 weeks , so the rush is on to make sure all is as it should be. We have meeting every second afternoon to get ready.
Our school yard smells so wonderful, there are many jasmine bushes and the smell permeates the whole area. There are also many lime and lemon trees. The children throw them like our children throw apples. 

 My spare bathroom, soon to be planter! That dust is thick in the air.

 Colorful fish


Sharks, sharks, sharks!