Friday 13 April 2012

April 13, 2012


Last day of break, time is flying by. A friend asked me to meet her in Mutrah to see the Queen Mary Ocean liner dock. I went  early and had a quick trip in to the Mutrah Fish Souk (market). The fishermen are there in a building with their catch spread out before them.  It was quite an experience. I saw little sharks we had been swimming with, tuna, long thin fish, some that looked like slugs, cuttle fish, prawns, crabs and so many more.  I met up with her and after looking at the liner we went for breakfast at the Marina. On the way home I stopped in at the Mutra Souk, which reminds me a great deal of the Khan el-Khalili in Cairo. Lots of beautiful scarves, very soft and colourful and much cheaper than in the shopping centre. Went for a walk again this evening with a friend who just came back from Zanzibar, she brought back such beautiful African print fabrics.

The Fish Market (Souk)
What is the spotted one? Is the one on the right a Hammer head shark?

Sad fish.

More sharks
An Omani vendor
fish seller

It was ugly looking salt fish, he gave me some to try and I took his picture eating a piece.

Sitting on a raised platform selling fish.

Queen Mary 2