Sunday 25 March 2012

March 25, 2012


Well things keep getting better. I think the turning point was getting a car. Now I can stay after school as long as I want and come in early. I now know what is in my classroom and have organized it my way. I have a large stack of work for the boys to fill in any gaps. They need to be working all the time in a structured environment.  Getting to know them better and almost got the names remembered. They are moving out of the testing phase and into a regular behaviour plan. There are some real gentlemen here and as in any other class some difficult ones. The Omani staff are so helpful and pleasant. I make a real effort to be extra nice to the man who does all our photocopying. Being on his good side is very beneficial if you want you copying done on time.
Every morning at 7:30 we have an assembly out in the central courtyard. They play the national anthem (love to listen to it) and they have the children read from the Koran. The central court yard had a big shade hung over the whole area, since the sun is so strong.  Still trying to get used to out eating schedule, ‘brunch’ is at 10:00 and it serves as our noonday meal. For snack at the ‘lunch’ break I take some fruit from the brunch meal.  
As in Egypt where Mubarak’s picture was everywhere, the Sultan Qaboos’ picture is on almost everything. (Qaboos is pronounced caboose) Every building has many, on the children’s notebooks and on the outdoor walls of building. He is absolute ruler and has no heirs or anyone named to succeed him. Wonder what will happen when he goes?
Walked the beach as usual today and suddenly it hit me…..no drift wood anywhere. But then where would the wood come from, the area has no forests.
Stepped on my first cockroach this evening, out in the hall! Yes I know, YUCK!! but it’s fact of life in a warm country so everything is sealed and I keep bread and all other goodies in the fridge and keep the crumbs swept up.

 Mina birds, so many of them.
 Now that's a cool set up on the beach.
 Island a km or 2 off shore
 No drift wood.