Friday 23 March 2012

Friday March 23, 2012


Excellent day. I was up at 5:00 this morning, did my usual morning stuff and then hit the almost deserted road. I drove the route to school three times just make sure I would have it memorized for Saturday morning the first day of our school week. Then I filled up my empty tank with gas, 3.500 OMR (about $9.12) took a drive out the Expressway and found my way back home. I stopped in at Costa coffee in the Al Shati Mall to meet with a bunch of Canadians. Of course we found mutual acquaintances, Andre Morrison knew Cherryl Morris, (Joe and Mary’s daughter), in Labrador city and my cousin Dino in PEI as well. Got a lot of info on how and where to get my iPhone unlocked (I’m presently in iPhone withdrawal) and lots of other helpful info. They meet every Friday morning for coffee.
In the afternoon 7 of us went to a restaurant caller Le Mer which has an amazing afternoon buffet at a reasonable price. It is right on the beach and we were watching the boats, helicopters, birds and oil tankers cruise past in the Gulf of Oman. The food was awesome, many Indian dishes and Omani food which is almost anything. They have been crisscrossed by so many people over the years that their food is very international. We were there about 3 hours and it was relaxing afternoon. There were 2 Scots, 2 Australians, 1 Indian, 1 American and myself. The teaching staff is very multicultural, heavy on South Africans, the UK, Australia and New Zealand.
Everyone is talking about what to do on the break, which starts the 5th of April. Lots of things to do, I want to go camping, go to the beach and ride a camel, perhaps a camping trip by camel. 

Fellow fishing with a net off the bridge by the restaurant.
 Red does stand out!
 There she is.
 You can just barely see the big tanker in the dusty haze.