Saturday 15 March 2014

Friday March 14th Good Bye Sao Bernardo


My last day of school in Sao Bernardo, it was a great experience; this type of work beats being a tourist. I arrived and became part of the staff and enjoyed interacting with so many good people.  I was able to experience what is like to live and work here. I especially loved working with the tiny children in toddler and nursery.    Every afternoon here, since I have arrived the sky opens up (torrential rain) in the afternoon and most days there is a lot of thunder. Well today during the thunderstorm I was on the walkway going into a class, under an awning.  There was one huge clap of thunder followed immediately by the brightest multiple flashes of lightening and loudest thunder claps I have ever experienced. Later the teachers showed me the lightning rod a few meters from me. She said the school was hit and it just went down the rod. We were all shaking.  …and that’s why I have a surge protector. All the computers in school have them. I guess it’s easy to fry your computer. Later found the strike knocked out quite a few of the school computers, maybe just the server. Hope information wasn’t lost.     After school I went with several to have pizza not far from school. We ordered palm heart and cheese pizza, so very good……and my good run with cheese continues!!  Sorry I was there only a week, wonderful people and dear children.
Back at the hotel my computer charging woes continued. Plugged in the computer through the surge protector and it blew the fuse my guardian angel put in my school bag. So tomorrow, Saturday I’ll have to venture out and some how fund the illusive fuse speaking only English.
Front of (my) Palm Leaf Hotel

Great place to eat

Just before that lightening hit


Awesome teachers who work very hard and love their students.

Pizza goodbye. Great people...one reason I love Brazil