Sunday 12 May 2013

First Full day of School

-->
Today was my first whole day in class with the girls. It is a grade 6 class, with 25 students (all girls). The boys are on the other side of the school and they don’t mingle at all.   The school front is the administration area, we walk through this into the courtyard. The cafeteria is in the middle, split in half, boys one side, girls the other. The girls and boys sections are mirror images, on each side of the cafeteria. The school is a place with distinctive smells. Immediately on walking in the administration building I could smell incense and stepping out in the courtyard I could smell the jasmine, what a lovely smell and….. there is the soaked in cologne smell from the boys high school section.

My apartment is fine but I have some things to resolve, I can’t turn on my propane stove (and I’m not experimenting with it), I guess the water pressure was always very low and good thing I’m not short, I can barely reach the first cupboard shelf.

School starts at 7:30 in the morning and last class is over at 2:10. Lunch/breakfast is served at the 10:00 break. I teach three, 55 minute classes a day.

I had a great day in class today. I had fun and the girls had fun, Nora’s sticky Mosaic Jewels   http://www.stickymosaics.com/   were a total hit. I’m sure they will add to my popularity.

The school is very fortunate to have such a wonderful staff. I was so happy to see so many familiar faces. Wonderful people from all over the world. 
My mosque next door, right across from my bedroom!

Majan Beach Friday, Helen, Ingi and me