Tuesday 28 May 2013

A Little Drive


Every day is a busy day, lots of work at school and more correcting and home-work when I get home.  Saturday and Sunday were great days at the beach and the cove has white sand and lots of coral.  I rarely just swim, I always snorkel, there is so much to see under the water. The last two days we saw a turtle and were able to follow it and watch it come up for air, just one gulp and its down again. There are amazing schools of silver fish, and they just part and swim around us. Sometimes we are surrounded by thousands of fish perhaps 15 cm long. We see an occasional sea anemone and Nemo as well as all the other different types. The coral is also so varied and amazing.

After school yesterday a friend asked me to go to Ruwi, a part of the city about 10 km away. Ruwi is a place I often get lost, so this time I used a map and we were able to find the store we needed fairly easily.  On the way out, not as easy, Sushelia asked directions from fellows in Hindi and they told us the way out. We were on the way….but took a wrong turn off and that was it, we were on our way up the mountain to the town behind Muscat….with the gas light on and no gas station in sight and not one turn around or turn off lane until we finally came back down the other side. (Reminds me of a trip on the Cabot Trail, when I thought Pleasant Bay had a gas station, made it to Dingwall…barely) Luckily we spotted a Shell station and filled up. I had been to Amrat before and when we reached the central round about, I guessed correctly and we were on the way back up the mountain by another road, I was familiar with. The Proton, sure isn’t a SUV or close to it, but we chugged up the mountain and down the other side. The whole escapade took about 2 ½ hours.

Weather isn’t a hot as it was last year, not in the 40s very much yet. But it’s great, no socks, no sweaters, never cold. Love my 25 girls, they are so eager to work and love art projects. Going on a trip this weekend, a mountain crossing. I am going with Helen from South Africa and it should be fun.