Wednesday 9 March 2011



 Cathedral from the back


Today and yesterday I took advantage of the metro. It is a great way to see the city, stop at a station check out the map telling what is above ground and take a look around. If it’s nice I stay and have a look around. Saw some beautiful old churches and very old ornate buildings at the Se´ station. These are holidays so when I went there today all the shops were closed and deserted. Tomorrow I will have off again, and since I did some work today, I’ll go have a look at the places I found that looked good but were closed. The metro stations and areas around them (where I go) always have a very strong military/police presence so I feel quite safe.
The carnival still is going on every night. It runs from 10:00 PM till 9:00 AM in the morning…all night. Someone told me there is a big finale on Friday evening. I will be in Sorocaba, a place about 110 Km from here, Thursday and Friday and probably will be back too late to see any more of the Carnival.  I have had poor internet service since I arrived here, tried using the cable, still terrible…but now it is flying. Maybe they repaired it since I asked them again at the desk.
The sidewalks here are beautiful. Many are mosaics made from different coloured blocks of stone. In public places they are uniform but in many areas every lot owner chooses what they like. Walking on the sidewalk here is a challenge just as in Macae especially the ramps for the many parking garages. You are walking and all of a sudden there is 6 in to a foot drop. Walking here is something you have to concentrate on.