Sunday 6 March 2011

 The city

 Party on the street
First whole day free to explore. I walked about 3 km to a flea market and saw a local Carnival parade. It was nice in the morning but as usual the rain started around noon. Nobody seems to care, everyone has umbrellas and it is a warm rain. I think flea markets are the same everywhere. This is a huge city, I walked through a pretty fancy shopping area today, didn’t stop in too many stores there.
I walked to day from 10 till 6:30, feet meed a rest. I think tomorrow I’ll look for more interesting places and try the subway and look for the Sambadome. This is the place where it all happens, may get a ticket for a performance. At least I will experiment with the bus and subway.
The plants here are what we call ‘house plants’. They are huge and so many flowers. There is (what I think is) a Jasmine tree. The smell is heavenly.  Got to watch those sidewalks, so many ups and downs.