Saturday 5 March 2011


Sao Paulo is rain central, an umbrella is an essential part of wardrobe here, and rubber boots would be good too. I’m not getting many pictures for 2 reasons, the rain and I don’t want to stand out like some sore thumb/flashy tourist.
Last evening I went to the main street nearby and there was a demonstration on the median. Probably about 200 250 protestors, a union group I think.  Well there were at least 500 police/military law enforcers there watching and taking pictures and video. No disturbance while I was there, just watching.
I am living in the central part of Sao Paulo, a block from the financial district. Lots of tall buildings and people, it is a very hilly city and bad for driving a standard. The Renaissance Inn is just across the street.
I’ve been working in the office reading and summarizing and making power point to put on the website. I’m on holiday till Thursday. Everything stops for Carnival. Don’t know how much I will see especially since I don’t have a body guard. The parades in Macae were pretty wild so I can imagine what the real thing will be like. I am little by little expanding my comfort zone around the area where I live. There re a lot of little shops and some big trendy mall near by. I was so glad to see English book stores. Tomorrow there are some street markets nearby so I will look for them.
Thursday I go to a school on the outskirts of the city. I may have to do some teaching and have some meetings. I’ll be there two days and will stay at a hotel nearby. Then next Saturday it’s back to Canada. Doubt if the snow will be gone.