Tuesday 17 June 2008

Bulaq Fabric Market

Doesn't time fly!! One more week, can't believe it. Maadi is in a fly lane and when I see the big aircraft flying over, I think, won't belong before I'll be on one heading out. Today I went to Bulaq the fabric market, with an Egyptian teacher for both of us wanted to get some fabric. We went by subway and got off at the Nasser Station. Coming up from that station you are hit by a mass of humanity and vehicles. The street is choked with vehicles which are honking most of the time, so very, very noisy. Getting across the street is like a Video game. As Gerri Mac Donald told me “use a local as a shield”. So watch when Egyptians cross and follow behind them. It is one big market, with stores filled to the top with fabric. The prices there were much better than what I have seen before, $9 a meter for silk, and $2 for crepe lining. The fabrics there are beautiful, Egyptian cotton and so many patterns and kinds of silk Besides fabric there is so much clothing, and every thing else you can think of stuffed into tiny shops. I looked in one place off the sidewalk and there were car wrecks stacked 3-4 high selling car parts, another shop had large coils of rope and there are people wandering about selling food and drinks.