Thursday 6 March 2008

Getting Warm

It is warming up a lot here, no need for heat in school or home anymore. Funny thing is the Egyptians don’t seem to realize how warm it is. Yesterday we were sweltering and the Egyptian workers still were wearing winter jackets. The children are the same. I have a fellow who wears 9 layers of clothing in January and is still wearing 4 layers of thick clothing in 27 degree weather. When I asked him how many layers he told me five shirts and lined pants and long johns. I sent him out to shed some layers, no wonder they get irritated after playing hard outside. . Hard to believe on Monday I will be here for two months. The weather now is just comfortable, can't imagine what it will be like in the last of June. They say it will be 33 tomorrow. We work Sunday to Thursday, so my weekend started today. We have two breaks coming up in April. I have visitors the second break. At the moment I'm looking at Google earth to figure out where I could go on the first break. Everyone vacates the place when there is anytime off. The pollution here is terrible, most of the teachers are sick with some type of respiratory aliment. There is a dark cloud over Cairo, you can see it at a distance when you approach the city. When you are in the city, you can see the haze. Today I saw a packed bus. It had about 4 or 5 fellows hanging out the front door and 4 or 5 more hanging on out the back door. Big transport trucks go by with a load of cement bags and 2 or 3 fellows asleep on top of the load. What would be a four lane highway in Canada is at least a 7 lane highway here in Egypt. NO KIDDING!!