Saturday 29 January 2011

Brazil, day 1

Friday January 28, 2011

Woke up Thursday to a cold house, time to call Bill Danburger, electronic wizard. Between he, Neil and Hughie they diagnosed the furnace problem. Neil drove me to Halifax in snow and slush, thank you so much. Nora and I were at the airport waiting on our delayed flights, she in the US departures and me in domestic. Made my Toronto connection and it was 10 hours to Sao Paulo (with some sleep). Missed that connection but got one for 3. Great flight but waited about 2 hours for driver who I’m guess was at international arrivals while I was at domestic. No internet connection, my phone wouldn’t work so I asked a fellow who called the school owner and the driver showed up. Then we were in rush hour traffic and huge traffic jam. Didn’t get to Macae till 10:30. Interesting driving habits. Every time my taxi driver cut someone off, they honked loudly, they had a hand signal exchange , stared at each other as were met again and again in traffic, and he would go right up behind them and leave on his brights. Did it on several different occasions and drivers. All through the traffic jam there are vendors selling drinks and snack to the people stuck there.

As we drove out of Rio we saw Sugarloaf and the huge statue of Christ.

The hotel/ apartment is awesome. Clean, bright , with internet access, spacious, large and with kitchen and balcony overlooking the beach. Beach is beautiful sand, can’t wait to get in the water. My employers dropped off some groceries to tide me over and are taking me out to lunch today.